CRC funded reports
The Council received reports from 5 completed research projects during the year 1974-75. Summaries of these reports are given below. These reports are held by the Australian Institute of Criminology's JV Barry Library and are available on inter-library loan. For full bibliographic information on any report, search the Library's Catalogue.
- Institutional staff training procedures
- A survey of juvenile offenders, South Australia
- A survey of juvenile offenders, Queensland
- A survey of juvenile offenders, Victoria
- Multi-problem families
The summary of an interim report received during the year is also given below.
Report title: Listed below.
Grantee: Mr R. Sanson-Fisher, Clinical Psychologist/Superintendent, Nyandi Treatment Research Centre for Adolescents, Western Australia
Criminology Research Council grant ; (20/73)
Seven separate reports have been prepared as a result of this research, and many of these have been submitted for publication in academic journals. The titles of these papers are:
- Manual for coding of delinquent behaviour
- The validity of a behavioural rating scale, application of a psycho-physical technique
- Mutual contingencies between staff and inmates within a maximum security institution for female delinquents
- A teaching manual for use by paraprofessionals in corrective institutions and group homes
- Behaviour therapy: new tactics for occupational therapists
- The need for accountability and techniques of evaluation
- Necessary steps in designing a successful contract
Report title: Juvenile Offenders in South Australia
Grantee: Mr G. Bruff, Acting Director-General, Department of Community Welfare, South Australia
Criminology Research Council grant ; (17/73)
A report on this project by research officer H. Meschemberg was received by the Council during the year 1974-75.
Report titles: See below
Grantee: Messrs A. Eakin and L. Reilly, Department of Children's Services, Queensland
Criminology Research Council grant ; (14/73)
There were two reports submitted for this project:
- A survey of juvenile offenders, Queensland : an in-depth study of the social and personal conditions of a number of children appearing before Brisbane children's courts / By A. A. Eakin and Eric Linford Reilly. (Variant title: Brisbane delinquency study) (1973)
- Delinquency survey - personal/social conditions of delinquents : preliminary report ... on the first 100 completed questionnaires / as presented by the research assistants to A.A. Eakin and E.L. Reilly (1975)
Report title: The Juvenile Offender in Victoria
Grantee: Mr D. Challinger, Lecturer in Criminology, University of Melbourne
Criminology Research Council grant ; (16/73)
A report on this project, which has subsequently received wide favourable comment, was received by the Council. Further results of this project will be incorporated in the report of the currently funded project on the Children's Court Hearing.
Report title: The Criminal and Social Aspects of Families with a Multiplicity of Problems
Grantee: Dr E. Cunningham Dax, Coordinator in Community Health, Mental Health Services Commission, Tasmania
Criminology Research Council grant ; (1/73)
A report emanating from this project by Lynn Davies and E. Cunningham Dax under the title 'The Criminal and Social Aspects of Families with a Multiplicity of Problems' was published in Vol. 7, No.4, of the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology for December 1974.
Report titles: Prevention of Delinquency in New Planned Urban Environments (Interim report) | Final Report
Grantee: Dr P. Wilson, Reader in Sociology, University of Queensland
Criminology Research Council grant ; (2/73)
An interim report containing the basic results of the first stage of this project was received by the Council.